Tag Archives: Antwerpen-Zuid

Lunet Saint Laureis

Description – The lunet of Saint Laurent / Sint Laureis / Saint Lawrence was built in support of the citadel of Antwerp to the north. It was located south of the citadel and guarded one of the main roads. It was named for the nearby dwelling of Sint Laureis. To the northeast one finds the fort of Montebello.

Construction & Armament – This lunet constructed in 1817 featured a wet moat. The facing ramparts measure 100m while the flanks measure 40m. These ramparts add up to a roughly spearhead design just as its counterpart lunet Kiel. It had only one entrance to the north. The lunet is considered a fort in some sources because it features a crenelated wall facing the citadel. Since it is not known whether there was a garrison stationed on a permanent basis it is currently classified as an older redoubt.

Armament –

  • ?x Cannon

Current condition – The lunet of Saint Laureis was considered an integral part of the citadel and it retained this status. During the siege of 1832 it was bombarded and captured by French forces until the citadel surrendered on the 23th of December.  The Belgian Army occupied the site but the citadel was ordered to be abandoned from 1870 onward. Most of the structures are presumed to be destroyed when the city of Antwerp expanded.

Sources – Own elaboration;

Lunet Kiel

Description – The lunet of Kiel was built in support of the citadel of Antwerp. It was located southwest of Antwerp on a short distance away from the river Scheldt.

Construction & Armament – This lunet constructed in 1817 featured a wet moat. The facing ramparts measure 100m while the flanks measure 40m. These ramparts add up to a roughly spearhead design just as its counterpart lunet Saint Laureis. It had only one entrance to the northeast. The lunet is considered a fort in some sources because it features a crenelated wall facing the citadel. Since it is not known whether there was a garrison stationed on a permanent basis it is currently classified as an older redoubt.

Armament –

  • ?x Cannon

Current condition – The lunet of Kiel was considered an integral part of the citadel and it retained this status. During the siege of 1832 it was bombarded by French forces until the citadel surrendered on the 23th of December.  The Belgian Army occupied the site but the citadel was ordered to be abandoned from 1870 onward. Most of the structures are presumed to be destroyed but some trances may still be found because the construction of the Antwerp South railway station did not employ deep digging. Aerial photos suggest the shape of the lunet can still be discerned; the former night club Zillion is located on this site.

Sources – Own elaboration;

Saint Michiel Gate

Description – The Saint Michiel gate (Saint Michael’s Gate) was named after the quarters of Saint Michiel located close to the former Antwerp citadel. It was part of the Grote Omwalling (city defensive wall) to the southeast. The gate was part of the front 11-12. The Scheldt river is found east and the gate of Saint Bernard is located to the west. Close to this gate remnats of an earlier fort were incorporated into the Grote Omwalling.

Construction & Armament – This monumental gate was built using bricks and earth works. The Grote Omwalling entails two defensive moats and intervals called saillants.

Current condition – All remnants of the Spoorweg gate have been demolished in 1931 (?). Later the construction of the Antwerp ring road erased most traces as the southern ringway/motorway junction was built on this site. It is not established if this gate was used during peace time.

Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R. ;

Spoorweg Gate

Description – The Spoorweg gate was named after the nearby railway connection between Brussels and the Antwerp South trainstation. It was part of the Grote Omwalling (city defensive wall) to the southeast. The gate was part of the front 10-11. It should not be confused with the Spoorbaan gate of Berchem.

Construction & Armament – This monumental gate was built using bricks and earth works. The Grote Omwalling entails two defensive moats and intervals called saillants.

Current condition – All remnants of the Spoorweg gate have been demolished in 1931 (?). Later the construction of the Antwerp ring road erased most traces as the southern ringway/motorway junction was built on this site.

Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R. ;