Description – The redoubt of Schilde was built in the eastern sector of the Antwerp Fortified Position. It is considered to be a standard concrete redoubt of the hoofdweerstandstelling. It did not participate in fighting during the Great War but it was completely destroyed by the garisson when they evacuated the position.
Construction & Armament – This concrete redoubt was constructed between 1909 and 1912. It was a standard design featuring several artillery pieces. The redoubt featured a wet moat and during war time the garrison entailed units from Fort Oelegem to the south or Fort ‘s Gravenwezel to the north. One cupola was built in front of the redoubt: it had one 75mm gun installed. It was part of the hoofdweerstandstelling; its main task was to secure the intervals between the forts and guard the road to Turnhout.
Armament – Hoofdweerstandstelling Redoubt
- 4x 120mm fortress gun
- 5x 75mm fortress gun
Current condition – The redoubt of Schilde did not participate in operations during the siege of Antwerp in 1914. When the fortress of Antwerp had to be evacuated by the Belgian Field Army the garisson subsequently destroyed the redoubt. This standard procedure would prevent German forces to occupy the redoubt. During the interbellum it was refitted and bunkers (pillboxes) were constructed and the redoubt was connected to the anti-tank ditch. In 1961 the redoubt lost its military role. Today it can be visited freely but some parts are overgrown. A fishing club is located nearby.
Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R. De Wit, G;