Tag Archives: Sint-Bernardsesteenweg

Redoubt XVII

Description – Redoubt XVII of the Veiligheidsomwalling is a small redoubt located between  Fort VII and Redoubt XVI to the east and  Redoubt XVIII to the west. Fort VIII Hoboken is found to the north but was not included in the defensive positions.

Construction & Armament – This concrete redoubt was constructed between 1910 and 1912. It is considered to be standard redoubt featuring artillery and secured the interval between two adjacent forts. The redoubt featured a wet moat but has only one floor. It is smaller than the design of the Hoofdweerstandstelling redoubt. One cupola was built in front of the redoubt: it had one 75mm gun installed. Two 75mm guns secured the intervals.

Armament – Veiligheidsomwalling Redoubt

  • 3x 75mm fortress gun

Current condition – Redoubt XVII was completed when the Great War broke out in 1914. It is not known if it participated in any defensive actions. The redoubt still exists and can be visited free of charge and is a reasonable condition.

Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R.

Saint Bernard Gate

Description – The gate of Saint Bernard was named for the Saint Bernard road that connected Antwerp with Hemiksem. It was part of the Grote Omwalling (city defensive wall) to the southeast. The gate was part of the front 11-12. To the east one finds the Saint Michiels Gate and the Spoorweg gate to the west.

Construction & Armament – This monumental gate was built using bricks and earth works. The Grote Omwalling entails two defensive moats and intervals called saillants.

Current condition – All remnants of the Saint Bernard gate have been demolished in 1931 (?). Later the construction of the Antwerp ring road erased most traces as the southern ringway/motorway junction was built on this site.

Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R. ;