Description – The fort of Koningshooikt is a concrete (armored) fort of the first order with merged caponnieres. It is part of the hoofdweerstandstelling and is located in the western sector of the Antwerp defensive positions.
Construction & Armament – The fort was made out of unarmed concrete and construction commenced in 1909. Completion followed in 1912. Its design is similar to Fort Oelegem and is considered to be the strongest type of fort available to the fortress of Antwerp. It features a two merged caponnieres, two side cupolas and back/rear caponniere to defend the intervals between forts and redoubts. It features a wet moat. To the northeast one finds the redoubt of Tallaart (Tallaert) and the redoubt of Bosbeek to the southwest.
Armament – Fort First Order
- 2x 150mm fortress gun
- 2x 120mm fortress gun
- 4x 75mm
- 16x 57mm
Commander 1914 – Major Sapin
Current condition – The Fort of Koninghooikt was one of the major scenes of battle during the siege of Antwerp in 1914. The shelling of the fort started on 30st of August. One month later German and Austrian forces employed 305mm and 420mm siege guns that forced the garrisson to evacuate the fort on October 2nd. One day later German units occupied the fort. Battles ensued since the Belgian Army retreated to the Nete defense lines. After the Great War the fort was refitted. It became widely known since it was the most northern strong point of the so called “KW defensive line” (Koningshooikt-Waver-linie). The fort did not see any action during WW II and German forces used it as a storage facility. After the war it became private property. It housed a pub (dancing club) and today it is home to an airsoft and paintball venture (Fort Knox). The fort sustained considerable damage that can be seen to this day. The site can be visited and on the whole it is in average condition. It is an official heritage site.
Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R.