Description – The fort of Stabroek is a concrete (armored) fort of the second order with detached caponnieres. It is part of the hoofdweerstandstelling and is located in the upper north of the Antwerp defensive positions. This fort guarded the main road to Bergen-Op-Zoom (The Nederlands) and part of the Scheldt river.
Construction & Armament – The fort was made out of unarmed concrete and construction commenced in 1902. In 1907 it was considered to be completed. Its design is similar to Fort Sint-Katelijne-Waver and Fort ‘s Gravenwezel but features a smaller number of artillery cupolas. It features a detached reverse caponniere, two side caponnieres and back/rear caponniere to defend the intervals between forts and redoubts. It features a wet moat.
Armament – Fort Second Order
- 2x 150mm fortress gun
- 2x 120mm fortress gun
- 4x 75mm
- 2(?)x 57mm
Commander 1914 –
Current condition – The Fort of Stabroek did not see action during the Great War. Some damage to the fort was inflicted by the retreating garrison. Later it became part of a German defensive position from 1917 onwards (Hollandstellung) and a garrison continued to occupy the fort until the armistice of 1918. In 1939 an anti tank ditch was built connecting the fort with the Redoubt of Smoutakker to the east and the Redoubt of Berendrecht to the west (part of the Scheldt river defensive positions). In 1944 it was damaged due to skirmishes between Allied and German units when the latter retreated to Rosendaal (the battle for the Scheldt river ensued short time later). Today it houses a paintball and airsoft venue (Stafort) and can be visited during opening hours. The fort still has original German wartime sings and markings.
Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R.