Description – The redoubt of Landmolen was built in the western sector of the Antwerp Fortified Position on the left bank of the river Scheldt. It is considered to be a standard concrete redoubt of the hoofdweerstandstelling. It did not participate in fighting during the Great War. It was refitted by the German army in 1917 when allied forces were able to increase the pressure on the western front. To the north Fort Haasdonk is located while Redoubt Lauwershoek guards the southern flank.
Construction & Armament – This concrete redoubt was constructed between 1909 and 1912. Its design is based on the standard configuration featuring several artillery pieces. The redoubt featured a wet moat and during war time the garrison entailed units from Fort Haasdonk located to the north. One cupola was built in front of the redoubt: it had one 75mm gun planned. It was part of the hoofdweerstandstelling on the left bank of the river Scheldt; its main task was to secure the intervals between the forts. To the south one finds Fort Steendorp.
Armament – Hoofdweerstandstelling Redoubt
- 4x 120mm fortress gun (only 1 piece installed in 1914)
- 5x 75mm fortress gun
Commander 1914 – Lieutenant Pierard
Current condition – The redoubt of Landmolen did not participate in fighting during the siege of Antwerp in 1914. When the fortress of Antwerp had to be evacuated by the Belgian Field Army the garrison tried flee to the Netherlands (Hulst) were they were disarmed and put in custody. Others tried to keep up retreating to the defense line of the canal Ghent-Terneuzen. The redoubt was disabled by the garrison when evacuated. It was occupied by German forces shortly thereafter and refitted because an allied breakthrough at the western front seemed imminent (October 1918). The redoubt is located in a small forest which makes it almost invisible to identify from a distance during spring and summer. Some parts were converted to living quarters and most of the redoubt housed a mushroom growing facility. The redoubt is in relatively good condition and most features are still intact and the 75mm gun placement is still there. The wet moat has been filled with earth. Near the redoubt One can still find prints of sand bags (filled with oplaster/concrete) probably dating back to either 1914 or 1918. Local farmers remove these prints and collect them near the roads since they damage farming machines. Several bunkers were built in the vicinity but were tipped over by local farmers. There is some evidence that a (small) railway existed near the redoubt. The site is private property and is considered off limits to visitors.
Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R. local residents; Van Meirvenne, R;