Description – The gate of Saint Laureins (Lawrence) was named after the nearby community. It was part of the Grote Omwalling (city defensive wall) to the south and was a monumental gate that offered acces to Antwerp (Berchem) and Wilrijk/Kiel. The gate was part of the front 10-11 and was linked to barracks together with the Kiel gate located a bit more west.
Construction & Armament – This monumental gate was built using bricks and earth works. The Grote Omwalling entails two defensive moats and intervals called saillants.
Current condition – All remnants of the Saint Laureins gate have been demolished in 1931 (?). Later the construction of the Antwerp ring road erased most traces. Part of the moat is still present since the site was used for the world exhibition of 1930 (Kiel).
Sources – Own elaboration; Gils, R. ;